Subject: Re: Calleja's Polione Met 10/7/21
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 15:46:55 -0500

The first video is noted as being sung in 1967.  By that time, it was getting rather late for del Monaco, but that long held B flat is still something to hear.  I would assume that the second video comes from an earlier time.  He drops out, lets the orchestra do the introduction to the ending, and then takes a big whacking lunge at the top C, which he pulls off reasonably well.

Another great version of this cabaletta and ending can be heard from Franco Corelli on the 1960 Callas recording under Serafin.  Corelli sings EVERYTHING and the top C shines like a beacon.   Still another but very different approach is taken by John Osborn on the Bartoli recording.  Of course it's a smaller voice, but Osborn embellishes the cabaletta very interestingly, and I believe he even slides up to a few top Ds before he concludes the aria on the top C.

It's really a hell of an aria and the cabaletta is a real barn-burner.