Subject: Re: Calleja's Polione Met 10/7/21
From: Rudi Van den Bulck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 21:44:58 +0200

It's pretty unfair to give two examples  of MDM when he was way past his
prime  (anything after 1962).
Calleja is a very fine singer whom I've heard several times in the theatre
and twice in recital;  strong top notes are not always in his vocal armour,
on occasion he's pretty unsure with his very top. Singing a central role as
Pollione doesn't help either.
Very few tenors can make "meco all'altar" with its martellato effects sound
better than it is...Bergonzi could but only partially as he lacked the
ultimate bite that Corelli and MDM could provide.

Rvdb