Subject: Re: Butterfly
From: Miguel Souza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 14:58:23 -0400

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 01:10:50 -0400, R PRADA <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Butterfly is a Geisha. The training is pretty strict. Her father was a member of the warrior
class, and she has a great deal of pride. She committed seppuku, the female version of
harakiri, which how a Samurai must end his life if he has lost face.
>Puccini was friendly with the American (?) ambassador in Rome, whose companion was a
Geisha. As a Geisha she played the shamisen and taught Puccini the five authentic melodies
he used in Butterfly.
>Wasn't there a Japanese pavilion at a fair in either London or Paris that first brought
Japanese design and culture to the Europeans? So all of this story and the visual esthetics
were exotic and fascinating.

If we are to believe the film “Topsy Turvy,” the Japanese exhibition came to London. But, f
course, it could also have gone to Paris.