Subject: Re: Calleja's Polione Met 10/7/21
From: Robert Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 12:43:11 -0400

Funny by how much perception of a voice can differ. I was in the house for
opening night, the 3rd October and for the HD.

In these performances I was impressed by the sheer power and beauty of
his voice and was quite flabbergasted when he took the written High C
in "Meco al altar.." which is a devilishly difficult note on an I vowel. Many
tenors I have heard live in this role leave this note out.

If I had to nitpick it is true that on the first night the optional B flat
crowning the cabaletta was a tad cloudy. However on the 3rd he sung it
with clarion beauty and on the HD he decided not to sing it at all and sung
the written A flat instead, much like Del Monaco does in the video below. I
have no idea why he left it out as he sung a beautiful High C in Meco and
he sung two interpolated B naturals with Sandra as the opera progressed.
Perhaps he felt a momentary uncomfortableness in the throat?

Meanwhile here is a video of Del Monaco not singing the B flat - not even
the written one by Bellini on the word L' Empio-

Here Del Monaco takes the B flat but omits the WRITTEN B flat Bellini
writes  -

Not comparing the two tenors of course but even a legendary great like Del
Monaco, with perhaps a voice more ideal to Pollione than Callejjas, doesn't
sound completely comfortable in a Cabaletta that to be completely honest,
is no great shakes.

Modify your settings: