Subject: Re: 1st act of Norma in HD
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 10:01:21 -0400

Dmitri Hvorostovsky was known as "Dima" to all his colleagues but, ever
since his diagnosis, it has universally been used as the form of
affection by all opera lovers. Nothing demeaning about it nor is it the
form of intimacy reserved only to friends at this point. Even his label
uses "Dima" when making official announcements. Of course, it's always
optional, but it has become the accepted affectionate form when referring
to this beloved but seriously ailing baritone. Based on social media
interactions, it seems that the Hvorostovsky family does not object to it
at all; quite the contrary.

This could be a matter of cultural differences, but nicknames formed from
the first names that resonate with a sense of endearment are very
acceptable in some cultures, including those for public personae without
implying their intimate knowledge as a friend or family. Those formed on
the last names can be tricky, but, as I said, this may vary culturally.

Best, Vesna