Subject: Norma HD Encore
From: J EUBANKS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Oct 2017 18:55:55 -0400

I take this to be a joke?  Norma is too close to  normal??  Really?  Take it up with the guy in the tomb in Catania, but my guess is that he doesn't care what you think.

From:    Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Bellini's Norma - MET Live in HD (Encore)

Thanks for the lucid comments on what you found wrong with this Norma. I ha=
ve my own list on this horrible production. First  was Sondra's ghastly mak=
eup job that made her look like a ghoul. And JDD 's awful hairdo. Obviously=
fake and she looked like a she was singing in her underwear. Also SR's slo=
ppy diction. Casta diva sounded like Basta niva, I objected to the bare che=
sted hunks gesturing in the crowd scenes. They were not even singing and we=
re just there for eye candy. The lighting was extremely dark  and where wer=
e Calleja's fellow Romans? Was he the only one oppressing the Druids? From:    Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks for the lucid comments on what you found wrong with this Norma. I ha=
ve my own list on this horrible production. First  was Sondra's ghastly mak=
eup job that made her look like a ghoul. And JDD 's awful hairdo. Obviously=
fake and she looked like a she was singing in her underwear. Also SR's slo=
ppy diction. Casta diva sounded like Basta niva, I objected to the bare che=
sted hunks gesturing in the crowd scenes. They were not even singing and we=
re just there for eye candy. The lighting was extremely dark  and where wer=
e Calleja's fellow Romans? Was he the only one oppressing the Druids? The w=
orse of all was the audience, Instead of booing this farce, they were clapp=
ing and yelling "bravo" The poor goons need someone to tell them how awful =
this whole thing was. The Met should hire an expert like you to critique to=
the audience all the terrible things they missed  in their delirium to enj=
oy the opera. Finally my problem with Bellini is that he should have chosen=
another name for the opera "Norma" is too close to "normal". I think Agnes=
or Matilda would sell better.
----- Original Message  comments on what you fund +
+-----The w=
orse of all was the audience, Instead of booing this farce, they were clapp=
ing and yelling "bravo" The poor goons need someone to tell them how awful =
this whole thing was. The Met should hire an expert like you to critique to=
the audience all the terrible things they missed  in their delirium to enj=
oy the opera. Finally my problem with Bellini is that he should have chosen=
another name for the opera "Norma" is too close to "normal". I think Agnes=
or Matilda would sell better.
----- Original Message  comments on what you fund +
+-----

Sent from my iPhone