Subject: Re: Margaret Harshaw
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Oct 2017 14:37:54 -0400

I always appreciated her bright and forward tone, when so many voices today
seem to me strangely occluded.  After her retirement she taught for a number
of years at IU and would appear as Kundry in their Easter 'Parsifal' (when
such things were still done).  She was known for giving her students very
strenuous techniques, which I thought odd, since her own never struck me as
particularly of that sort.

David Kubiak

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 14:40:17 -0400, Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>She's the Brunnhilde on the Metropolitan Opera Guild recording of Die
Walkure (abridged). Thebom is Fricka, Vinay is Siegmund, Uhde is Wotan, and
Marianne Schech is Sieglinde. Rosalind Elias is one of the Valkyries.
Mitropoulos conducts! I would not call this cast a "B" list cast at all.
Harshaw lacked temperament in the Verdi mezzo roles, but  I think when she
changed to dramatic soprano the Walkure Brunnhilde suits her voice and
temperament. Flagstad she is not, but her performance here is in the big
leagues.

>I wonder though, if she became the Met's house hochdramatische in the
fifties because Varnay was spending more time at Bayreuth and also because
Bing and Varnay did not get along (read Varnay's autobiography). (Harshaw
also sang two of the more zwischenfach big temperament parts Varnay by that
time excelled in, Ortrud and Kundry.) Also, by the early 50s, Traubel,
though sounding glorious, had no notes above A (and of course there was the
nightclub incident), and Nilsson had yet to burst on the scene as the next
Wagnerian soprano superstar.