Subject: Re: False report on Hvorostovsky
From: Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Oct 2017 01:09:42 -0400

Gabe, thank you for your spirited and excessively kind defense of my role in the
Hvorostovsky rumor, but that stupid and mean fake news did not start with me - far from
it.

I didn't know it at the time, but later the story became clear: The original post was an
individual Russian one, picked up and distributed by RT (Russia Today, years ago created in
the fashion of DW and BBC but then prostituted to become Putin's organ of propaganda,
covering neither Russia nor today... a sorry fact that probably has nothing to do with
Hvorostovsky.)

When a singer I know posted the death report, without sourcing it, on Facebook, I
forwarded it as an unconfirmed report, saying that I cannot find any verification, asking if
anybody does. Minutes later, the BBC, Wiki, dozens of others confirmed it, and only then
did I post it on Opera-L - it wasn't the first. Only later did Tim Page relay the message from
Hvorostovsky's wife that he is alive and well.

I regret the whole affair and my part in it, although the false verification was very
convincing, but I am far from being the source and original perpetrator.

Unlike Gabe's supposition that this was a unique event, in my decades of journalism I made
many mistakes, some real stupid ones, which continue to rankle even after corrections and
apologies. What I find astonishing is that without the layers of editing and proofing in the
days of NEWSPAPERS, today's global free-for-all doesn't screw up more often and in a
worse fashion than it does. Sigh.