Subject: Re: Wrong-composer operas
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Oct 2017 22:09:29 +0000

A couple more (perhaps raising the obscurity level). There are two
Finnish operas based on the novel Juha, one by Merikanto and the other
by Madetoja. Both have been recorded.

There are two operas of Pique Dame in addition to Tchaikovsky's, by
Suppe and Halevy.

There are tons of operatic Fausts.

Two composers have done operas of Wuthering Heights: Carlisle Floyd and
Bernard Herrmann. Not sure either qualifies as "right-composer."

And apologies (again) for the pedantry, but the two Rusalkas Vesna cites
are different stories--Dvorak's is based on the folktale, while
Dargomyzhsky's is based on an unfinished play by Pushkin about a drowned
maiden.

Rich