Subject: Re: Wrong-composer operas
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Oct 2017 12:03:00 -0400

What a marvelous idea for an opera series.

My favorite is also MACBETH though my preference remains for Verdi over
Bloch, whose version is indeed another masterpiece.

If "the same title different composers" is the game and assuming that they
have been staged or recorded at least once in modern times, a few more come
to mind (and I'm sure there must be much more):

PARISINA (Donizetti, Mascagni)
ALCESTE (Gluck, Lully)
MEDEE (Charpentier, Cherubini)
FRANCESCA DA RIMINI (Rachmaninoff, Zandonai)
MANON LESCAUT (Auber, Puccini; I guess Massenet would not qualify because
it omits "Lescaut" from the title)

Vesna