Subject: Re: Wrong-composer operas
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Oct 2017 14:41:18 +0000

My favorite "wrong composer" opera is Bloch's Macbeth. It is a
masterpiece that should be performed far more frequently.

A couple of others are Rossini's Otello (which would be done more often
were it not for the difficulty finding enough tenors) and Buson's
Turandot. Gazzaniga's Don Giovanni premiered the same year as Mozart's
(talk about bad timing!). There are also all the different works set to
Metastasio's libretti--although it's often difficult to say who was the
"right" or "wrong" composer.

My favorite wrong-author title is Robert Benchley's "20,000 Leagues
Under the Sea or David Copperfield."