Subject: Wrong-composer operas
From: Mark Schubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Oct 2017 10:25:11 -0400

Today's New York Times has a nice obituary for Vincent La Selva:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/obituaries/vincent-la-selva-dead-led-new-york-grand-opera.html

It notes, "In 2001, the editors of Guinness World Records proclaimed
Mr. La Selva the only person to have conducted all 28 Verdi operas in

He also introduced me to what I call "wrong-composer" operas with his
New York Grand Opera production of Leoncavallo's "La bohème." I've
since seen Paisiello's "Il barbiere di Siviglia" and Portugal's "Le
nozze di Figaro" (both done by On Site Opera) and Rachmaninoff's
"Francesca da Rimini" (at the Princeton Festival).

Portugal also did Alceste. He did versions of "Semiramide" and
"Serse," too, but not quite with the same names ("La morte di
Semiramide" and "Il ritorno di Serse"), so I don't count those in the
"wrong-composer" genre. Bononcini did "Serse" before Handel.

What other "wrong-composer" operas can you name?

TTFN,
Mark