Subject: Re: Nell Rankin's Amneris - and a Milanov Question
From: John Rahbeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Oct 2017 01:15:40 -0400

Irine Minghini-Cattaneo comes to mind as a wonderful Amneris. She was
condsidered old school  even when compared with Simionato and  Barbieri, and
even Stignani having preceded them. Also  even though, her  highest notes
weren't as solid as her contemporaries, Chloe Elmo was rather  impressive.
There was also a singer of Nell Rankin and Louis Homer's Stature, Miriam
Pirazzini.
 Irene Dallas made a mighty impressive sound as Amneris.
Then came along Verret and Bumbry followed by Zajick.
I would certainly put Cossotto up as one of the great Amnerises.
 Another thing to remember is even though  each of these singers  had their
time when the shined, it didn't last  forever for any of them,  though some
lasted longer than others.
Cossotto was born in 1935 and made her debut in 1957 at the age of 22 and
sang at the Met until 1989. She continued singing until she was seventy.
That is  a span of 48 years. That alone is impressive.
John Rahbeck

In a message dated 10/12/2017 5:19:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

On Thu,  Oct 12, 2017 at 12:40 PM, William Fiorelli  <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> When did Zinka sing "lyric  coloratura" roles? And which roles ?
> BILL

I assume this  is directed at my post. Milanov sang a great many varied
roles in her  pre-Met career in Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, and Germany. Off
the top of  my head for lyric coloratura,-- Marguerite, Gilda... I suppose
these can be  sung by both dramatic and lyric coloratura, but I imagine that
at her  younger age she delivered the Jewel Song with much less weight. She
also  sang LA BOHEME Mimi, usually reserved for lyric sopranos.

This gives me  the opportunity to mention something I missed to do earlier
today. On that  same '43 broadcast, Bruna Castagna's Amneris and Richard
Bonnelli's  Amonasro were among the best I've ever heard on recordings.
Castagna is  rarely mentioned but she puts me in awe every time I hear her
on a historic  live recording.

Vesna
Sent from my  iPhone

containing only  the words:  SIGNOFF  OPERA-L
To  stay subscribed but TURN OFF mail, send a message  to
[log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L  NOMAIL
Modify  your settings:  http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html