Subject: Re: Nell Rankin's Amneris - and a Milanov Question
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Oct 2017 02:56:05 +0000

This is Before My Time ( not lifetime, but  was in short pants and had only been to one Met opera), but I  was once told that Nell Rankin was given Third Norn/Gutrune in the NP f the post-HvK GOETTERDAMMERUNG as compensation for having been passed over as the contracted cover for Didon in favor of Shirley Verrett at the TROYENS opening in October 1973.  At the time she spoke to OPERA NEWS about the Wagner parts needing 'brilliant highs" , which seemed her greatest asset throughout her career.

However,the GOETTERDAEMMERUNG was in March 1974, so the timing makes this seem  dubious: surely they would have announced a Gutrune earlier?  Did someone previously announced dematerialize (perhaps Caterina Ligendza?)  In retrospect, Johanna Meier would have been a good choice.
Anyone else ever hear this?

Best- David Shengold