Subject: Re: Are aging posters qualified to evaluate current singers?
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Oct 2017 01:25:08 +0000

Aging posters have as much right to judge today's singers as anyone has. If ones enjoyment, and indeed opinion diminishes with the loss of high frequency sounds, then anyone over the age of 50 should give up listening to music and content themselves with stamp collecting. This talk is, in my mind, extreme and even insane. I do not have to be 25 again to appreciate that Jussi Bjoerling was a fine tenor 57 years ago, and that Joseph Calleja is a fine tenor today. I can appreciate Sondra Radvanovsky as I admire Maria Callas or Joan Sutherland or Mirella Freni.

I can no longer hear very high tones, but neither the orchestras nor the operas abound in much that is included in that range.  Perhaps we could train beagles to assist us in our dotage, thus singers would have to pass the Dog test.

Regards,

Isaac