Subject: Re: Nell Rankin's Amneris - and a Milanov Question
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:18:41 -0400

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:40 PM, William Fiorelli <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> When did Zinka sing "lyric coloratura" roles? And which roles ?
> BILL

I assume this is directed at my post. Milanov sang a great many varied
roles in her pre-Met career in Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, and Germany. Off
the top of my head for lyric coloratura,-- Marguerite, Gilda... I suppose
these can be sung by both dramatic and lyric coloratura, but I imagine that
at her younger age she delivered the Jewel Song with much less weight. She
also sang LA BOHEME Mimi, usually reserved for lyric sopranos.

This gives me the opportunity to mention something I missed to do earlier
today. On that same '43 broadcast, Bruna Castagna's Amneris and Richard
Bonnelli's Amonasro were among the best I've ever heard on recordings.
Castagna is rarely mentioned but she puts me in awe every time I hear her
on a historic live recording.

Vesna
Sent from my iPhone