Subject: Re: Nell Rankin's Amneris - and a Milanov Question
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:17:26 -0700

As with Milanov, those who heard Harshaw live must be able to hear something different in those broadcast recordings than those of us who didn’t.

Personally, I hear a superb mezzo but a squally unpleasant sounding soprano who had all the notes but isn’t nice to listen to. I’m fully ready to believe that the microphone and recording process is missing something.

Donald Kane, why do you lambaste further Milanov discussion? Because it’s redundant and uninteresting to you doesn’t make it so to everyone. Listers come and go and may not be up on the OPERA-L history and no reasonable person would require new members to extensively troll the archives. The fact that the Perlea “Aida” is still available for purchase (actually in a very good remaster by Sony) makes it a valid discussion topic.

There are a lot of topics that don’t particularly engage my interest but I wouldn’t dream of telling people not to entertain them.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone