Subject: Re: 10/22 MET NORMA
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Oct 2017 15:49:31 -0400

Maybe you'd like a red sofa and a clock instead? ;-)

(Let's see - the kids could hide behind the sofa, while the piece of furniture itself
somehow represents the sexual world of Pollione and his fetish for Druid priestesses. The
clock represents Norma's realization that the time is running out on keeping the secrets
about Pollione and the young'ens. Ha. Instant regie, no forest needed. Oh, and of course
the sofa would catch on fire at the end.)

Call me a traditionalist, but I think it's always nice to see a set that bears *some*
semblance to the actual setting - as much as is practical, of course. So yes, if the setting
is a forest, I think we should see something that gives us the sense of a forest. For god's
sake, why not? Especially on a stage as big as the Met?

(Of course, yes, being too literal is totally possible. It took opera director Francesca
Zambello and her design associates to come up with the terribly laughable decisions for
Broadway's "The Little Mermaid" - rendering the world of the swimming sea creatures by
having them wear wheeled "heely" sneakers and doing lots of "aquatic ballet" arm
gestures. It stunk, to put it mildly. A sofa and clock might have worked better, lol.)

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:23:34 -0400, Matt Carver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The sets are dark and boring.  Sure it's set in the forest but do we need to really see a
forest?