Subject: 10/22 MET NORMA
From: Matt Carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:23:34 -0400

I attended the performance and was, unfortunately disappointed.

This was mainly because I like Norma sung a certain way: Fast tempi, Norma having a clear voice, the lead ladies having differently weighted voices, nice sets.  This production had none of those.

I love Radvanovsky, but she has an ugly vibrato.  She has worked hard to tame it over the last decade.  In the first act of Norma, much of it came back. It intruded on the melodic lines--it sometimes broke the lines,  She was better by the second act, thankfully.  She has a lovely pianissimo, but used it like a parlor trick.  During her brilliant Donizetti Queens, she used it more sparingly and effectively.  Here, it seemed she was throwing it out every few minutes.  Plus, the refulgence in her voice just doesn't suit the role, for me.

DiDonato's voice often has a similar timbre to Rad's--when they sang together, I couldn't always distinguish them.

Calleja's Pollione was dashing and sung well.  I have yet to see one who could make him a major character.

The sets are dark and boring.  Sure it's set in the forest but do we need to really see a forest?  Plus, no one who lives in a hut dresses like they did,  The whole thing looked ridiculous.