Subject: Re: NORMA's high def presentation
From: Sue Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Oct 2017 22:36:27 +0000

 So appreciate this review!! For the record, the Dallas theater where I saw Norma yesterday played the sound too loud throughout.

I've seen NORMA live 3 times in the past 3 years, and the women were thrilling -- Sondra Radvanovsky, Elza van den Heever and her cover young Canadian soprano Aviva Fortunata as Norma; Jamie Barton and Marina Costa-Jackson as Adalgisa. Yonghoon Lee was an outstanding Pollione; Russell Thomas parked and barked, fortissimo. Orovesa was sung by the same young basso in all 3 performances in 2 different productions. His voice is good, but his characterization never reached the audience. He'll be great someday, but isn't there yet.

Consequently, I was happier with Matthew Rose than with any of the live performances I've seen so far.

Why didn't we have Domingo in Norma, why not one of the many outstanding bassos as Oroveso? I suspect they are booked solid years in advance for roles in which they carry the opera. And for that reason I'm all the more grateful for Joseph Calleja who made Pollione an event just as his luxury casting in Macbeth elevated the performance.
And one more bonus for me yesterday, I met Gordon Young whose opinions grace these pages with his take on The Dallas Opera and some of the fascinating videos he finds on YouTube and elsewhere to share.
Sue HarrisonDallas, TX