Subject: Nell Rankin
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Oct 2017 09:29:04 -0500

Rankin was the Eboli in Chicago Lyric Opera’s first Don Carlo in 1957, her only appearance here. The cast included Jussi Bjoerling, Tito Gobbi, Boris Christoff and, in one of her mere handful of American performances, Anita Cerquetti. She must have been totally overshadowed by that illustrious cast because all I can remember about her is that she wore the (at that time) traditional eyepatch.

In subsequent years we had the luxury of Cossotto, Troyanos and the incomparable (my opinion) Giulietta Simionato in the role.

Kurt Youngmann

“True patriotism springs from a belief in the dignity of the individual, freedom and equality not only for Americans but for all people on earth, universal brotherhood and good will, and a constant and earnest striving toward the principles and ideals on which this country was founded.” - Eleanor Roosevelt, diplomat, author, and lecturer