Subject: Re: 1st act of Norma in HD
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Oct 2017 17:54:46 -0400

> On Oct 7, 2017, at 3:19 PM, Conrad, Stephen A. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Quite disappointing, no?  All three stars are having an off afternoon so far, to my ears.  JDD is on the floor too much, to say nothing of all that business around SR during Casta Diva.   And what’s with the candle lighting in Norma’s dome?  A SR admirer here; but not happy for her today— so far.

SR did have a rough start but I thought that she improved steadily throughout the afternoon.  She has carefully thought out this role and had complete control for the rest of the performance. She was sublime in the second act.

I found the animalistic poses distracting and unnecessary and found myself wondering why they kept lighting and putting out the candles.

JD is an intelligent musician who never seems to give less than 100%. She convinces me by her commitment and mastery of her craft.

JC was much better today than at the premiere and sang with grace, agility and focused tone.

Matthew Rose continues to disappoint.  He does not belong with the other three on that stage.

The chorus was amazing.  Whether it is the male chorus, female chorus or  combined, they are stunning.

Carlo Rizzi is very impressive, particularly in Bel Canto repertoire. The pacing, crescendos, phrasing and overall arch are well executed.  The orchestra sounds as one.

This was one of the few times that I did not find myself thinking that this opera is too long.  I was in the moment from start to finish.

Ron Magnuson