Subject: Re: Question re Old Pirate LPs
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Oct 2017 17:51:52 -0400

Stefan Zucker sent me a private reply with some interesting information in response to my
inquiry.  With his permission, I am sharing it with the List:

Stefan wrote:

BJR and Robin Hood were issued by Santiago Rodriguez. He took pains to eliminate clicks
and pops. He would throw out discs that had too many of them rather than sell them.
However, he was not fastidious about pitching. He did try to pitch the beginning of each reel
to A=440. But reel-to-reel tapes from that period are unstable in speed and require
frequent re-pitching. Moreover A=440 is a British and American standard. Italian tuning
pitches ranged from 442 to 448, a quarter-step higher than 440.

MRF was founded by Maurice R. Fugette (spelling?). After his murder the label was taken
over by Bismarck Reine. Like Rod he pressed at Windsor Records, which did good work. He
wasnít exacting about clicks and pops, however, nor was he particular about pitching.
Because he spent less time on individual releases, he was able to put out a far larger

BJR and MRF included elaborate booklets. Robin Hood was a budget label and did not.

Both labels had trouble getting paid by stores, to the point that they suspended operations
in the mid 80s.

Rod passed some years ago. As of a couple of years ago Bisy was in his early 80s and
published an e-newsletter. However, Iíve not heard from him since.

Modify your settings: