Subject: Entering the Pirates' Cove
From: Charles Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Oct 2017 12:19:10 -0400

In trolling the archives, I came upon this intriguing 1997 opera-l post by the (late, lamented)
Tom Kaufmann, on the subject of pirate opera recordings:

http://listserv.bccls.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9703D&L=OPERA-L&D=0&P=3997&F=P

This post, and the ensuing discussion, are very interesting.  I'm sure the differing views
expressed reflect the wide range of sentiments of present listers on the subject.

I will just add, to that 1997 discussion, that Ed Rosen once commented that those who think
sellers of live opera recordings are in it for all the money they make, don't know anything
about the business and inspire rueful laughter in those who are.

The ability to download music on the internet has really transformed the live recording
market.  As far as I'm concerned, companies like Opera Depot and Divina Records provide a
great service to opera lovers.  (I will leave the ethical qualms to those people who are clearly
my moral superiors.)

Charlie