Subject: Steber at the Continental Baths
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Oct 2017 15:24:01 -0400

I bought this record for two bucks at Reckless Records (used CDs, vinyl, DVDs). Little did the seller know I've seen this LP for sale for as much as three hundred dollars on amazon.

I knew by then it was a camp classic.

Well, it is what it is. But note: Bette Midler sang there, but that was at the start of her career. I think she only sang one night there with Barry Manilow.

I would like to think that she was not appearing as an "old joke," and she seems to be enjoying herself, especially in the last half, operetta, after the opera arias program.. Ambitious, to say the least, Depuis le jour, wow.

But she could sing anything in her prime.

At that point, she still could, even if the results are less than spectacular.

Maybe she needed the money by then, I don't know. I heard she got into some financial trouble in the late fifties, and her personal life was in shambles.

Whatever the case, if one listens to either her Inflammatus or her Hear ye, Israel, she should be numbered among the great singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW9bgy-NEMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX-wwiTZrnw

Mezzomaniac