Subject: Re: Novotna
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Oct 2017 13:35:21 -0400

Hi Vesna

To answer your question as best I am able -

I own a terrifc book called "Music in Fascist Italiy" by Harvey Sachs, and
it's pretty specific in calling Stracciari one of the biggest Mussolini "suck ups"
among the singers. I believe he also blasts Stracciari's wife for her
non stop begging. I just checked and my memory served me well in
this case. He called both of them "pathetic", among other things.

He is, btw, my favorite Italian baritone, despite his late career antics.
He was not alone!

The baritone who directly confronted Mussolini and the Fascist Regime
was Titta Ruffo, who was so antagonistic toward them that
Mussolini had him arrested. International pressure apparently led to
his release a few days later. but he was protested and abused by
Fascist sympathizers wherever he appeared for what little remained
of his career.

He is not my favorite, but he certainly had the greatest voice of them
all, and I admire his courage enormously.

Bob