Subject: Re: Moffo commercial recordings
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Oct 2017 12:06:48 -0400

Moffo made many fine recordings, although for various reasons I would not put any of them
at the absolute top of my list except for the "Rondine."

I'll put in a word for a later Moffo recording: "L'amore dei tre re" on RCA.  While Moffo's voice
was in decline at that point, Fiora is a good role for her and does not tax her unduly and her
dark, smoky tone suits the character.  And Siepi is great as Archibaldo.  It is a fine recording
of a very good opera, much better than Moffo's awful "Thais" a couple of years earlier.

I also like the "Rigoletto" under Solti.  His conducting is very dramatic and the singers,
including Moffo, are all excellent.  Merrill is perhaps a bit generalized in terms of vocal
characterization (particularly in comparison to Gobbi on the EMI with Callas), but his sound is
magnificent.  And Kraus' Duke is a treat.

MDW