Subject: Florez Mozart
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Oct 2017 12:02:44 -0400

My pre-ordered copy of the new Florez Mozart recital arrived yesterday and
"WOW" sums it up best.

Cataracts of beautifully rounded ornaments flood "Fuor del Mar" giving the
piece a baroque grandeur it seldom gets from tenors who come to Mozart from
Puccini or Verdi.

In fact all the da capos are fearlessly decorated reinforcing the
justification for the A-B-A form.  Its a minor quibble, but I think the
only place where Florez miscalculates is in an overly fussy delivery of the
elegiac Un'aura amorosa.

His "Tito" would surely steal the show from the various ladies both in and
out of trousers.

Would love to hear him rip through Handel's Bajazet in "Tamerlano."