Subject: Re: Today's "Stars"
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 5 Oct 2017 20:19:30 +0000

Donald ad list

Lotsa places!

She debuted in Prague in 1926, and until she fled the Nazis was a regular
guest in Berlin and at Salzburg. One of her first international engagemets
was as Gilda at Verona in 1928. She appeared during those early years
at Munich, Milan, Rome and the Maggio Musicale in Firenze, as well as
Paris, Brussels and Vienna. It's like a "Who's Who" of opera houses.

Her career was mostly centered in the USA after she emigrated. In 1957
she appeared at the Vienna Volksoper, and that's about it. That's about
enough, but there is, I'm sure, more. All of this from Kutsch-Riemens,
which is known for mistakes but is generally correct.

Her Met debut was in 1940, so I would place her dparture from Europe
about a year before. Perhaps, one of you can provide specifics, for
which my thanks. She was very famous for and very outspoken in her
dedication to anti Nazi causes and was a more or less national
heroine, both in Czechoslovakia after the War, and in the USA from
the time of her arrival. Her fame transcended opera!

Bob