Subject: Re: RIP Andre Mallabrera
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Oct 2017 20:38:59 -0400

My god - I saw the thread title and thought Carreras had died.

That Hoffmann recording was the first one I heard as a kid. Gedda reigns supreme, the
rest of the cast is uneven, but it's still a nice recording, warts and all. (And Mallabrera's
sweet tone works nicely for Nathaniel, even for the little that he gets to sing.) But the
oddest thing is a baritone Nicklausse. I'd love to know why it was cast this way - I'm not
aware of any production that has done that.

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 15:46:15 -0500, kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On my first trip to Europe, in 1962, I attended a performance of Hoffmann at the Opera
Comique. I remember Mallabrera as Hoffmann with Jean Borthayre as the villains and
Christiane Eda-Pierre as Olympia. Some time later the tenor sang Nathanael in that opera
in a recording with Gedda, assorted baritones/basses as the villains and assorted
sopranos as Olympia, Antonia and Giulietta.

>He can be heard in songs & arias on Youtube: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-
z_jIEVZHkg>

>Kurt Youngmann
>

>> On Oct 4, 2017, at 2:04 PM, Rudi Van den Bulck <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> French tenor André Mallabrera died a few days ago, as a tribute we uploaded
several arias and song recordings never before available in cyberspace. You can also
listen to tenor Jose Carreras in a famous Catalan song live in the early eighties displaying
amazing head voice and falsetto; things he never attempted in his operatic recordings,
the song is a marvel too. All on our homepage of www.operanostalgia.be
<http://www.operanostalgia.be/>

>“Christ died for our sins. Dare we make his martyrdom meaningless by not
committing them?”
>—Jules Feiffer, quote cited widely on Internet, and by Warren Allen Smith in Who's
Who in Hell