Subject: Re: Norman Treigle (was Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt)
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 Oct 2017 09:54:01 -0400

FULLY & 110% agree with you on Norman Treigle! Talk about versatility -
saw him as both the Gounod & Boito devils (in the latter, his
performance was so realistic, especially the "seizure" he had at the
end, writhing & rolling around the stage, when the angels win the fight,
it actually resulted in nightmares - also, Boris, when at the end of the
hallucination scene, he collapsed to the floor& missed cracking his head
on the edge of the map table by inches.  There were also performances of
Gianni Schichi & as you said, Hoffman, Le Coq D'Or, reverend Blitch, &
other great, great parts.

One can only imagine what his Archibaldo, Scarpia, & especially, Grand
Inquisitor, would have been like.

Oh, if only the "powers that be" had SOME videos of his
characterizations - there's only a scene as the "good" Reverend Blitch!

Regards,

Paolo