Subject: Gilda Cruz-Romo (was Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Oct 2017 11:55:25 -0400

Bob Rideout wrote:

"I saw [Cruz-Romo] twice, in the famous NYCO Treigle "Mefistofele" and once at the Met in
"Trovatore". She was excellent both times. I actually think that her career, though it was
solid, should have been better."

In this country, Cruz-Romo (then Gilda Cruz) got her start at the Dallas Civic Opera, where
she made her U.S. debut in 1966 as Giovanna in "Rigoletto" and sang mainly comprimario
roles for the next several years, although she sang the title role in DCO's student
performance of "Anna Bolena" in 1968.  (Suliotis sang Anna in the regular performances.)
She met her husband, Bob Romo, in Dallas when he was singing in the DCO chorus.  Cruz-
Romo returned to DCO as a leading singer in 1979, when she sang Aida (with McCracken
and Horne).

A friend of mine at the DCO, Charlotte Schumacher, knew Bob and Gilda well.  (Charlotte
and some other people from Dallas flew to London for C-R's Covent Garden debut as Aida in
the early 70s.)  Charlotte said that although C-R certainly had the vocal chops to have been
a major star, she had a sweet but rather low-key personality and was not at all aggressive
or inclined to push herself forward, and so, in the public perception at least, she remained a
second-stringer rather than a star of the first rank.  (She also was devoted to her husband
and children and was something of a homebody.)  I remember John Ardoin saying that
Cruz-Romo's Butterfly, in a 1978 Met tour performance in Dallas, was one of the finest he
had ever seen and had him in tears.

Cruz-Romo sang many major roles at the Met (I saw her superb Suor Angelica in 1975) and
she certainly had a significant international career, but my impression from Charlotte was
that she had no desire to be a top-flight diva, which is probably why she never became one.
We should also remember that in the biggest years of her career, the mid-70s through the
early '80s, her big roles overlapped with Caballe, Price and Scotto, and they all had more
star wattage than Cruz-Romo did.

Given a fine voice, I think that the qualities that set a singer apart as a superstar or big box
office draw (and gets recording contracts), are drive, ambition, and perhaps most
important, personality and a unique vocal profile.  Cruz-Romo, fine singer though she was,
did not have these qualities to any great degree.

MDW