Subject: Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt (3)
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Oct 2017 14:47:00 +0000

I totally agree about Cruz-Romo. I only saw her once, in Mefistofle at the NYCO, and she was riveting. Her big aria was one of the most thrilling performances of an aria I ever heard from any great soprano. Years ago there was, I think a pirated album, consisting of duets from live performances with Gilda and Bergonzi, from the seventies. They were wonderful together and most memorable in the Chenier final duet, on of the very best I ever heard. They received huge applause during and at the final note of the duet. I wish I had been there, though I don't recall if they were Met or other venue performances.