Subject: Re: Steber "humiliating herself"
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Oct 2017 10:29:33 -0400

Mr. Kane says:
"I never set foot in the place..."

And I bet *everybody* who was a patron there says that, lol. (MY excuse, lol, is that I
didn't even know about the place - I didn't live in NY and was a kid at the time. I was a
mere 13 when the place later became Plato's Retreat.)

But, looking at the Wikipedia article on the Continental Baths, and indeed, the huge list of
amazing performers who sang or played there, I really doubt that Steber would have
been all that embarrassed to be included in that kind of roster. In fact, I would hope that
many of them felt like Bette Midler did, in terms of being a part of the developing gay
rights movement by performing there (see her quote in the Wiki article).

I would also assume that many people went just to hear the concerts? (I know that might
be like saying one actually read the articles in Playboy, lol, but you know what I mean...)