Subject: Re: Steber (was Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt (3)
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Oct 2017 21:06:46 -0400

Steber spent a great part of her time with the Met and of course she was

the Met's first Constanze, Arabella, Marie as well as creating the role of

Vanessa.  She had a substantial number of appearances in other venues,

including Bayreuth where she sang Elsa - the recording is excellent with

an all-star cast.  In Munich she sang the Kaiserin with Boehm conducting.

The Florence Fanciulla with Mitropoulos conducting and with del Monaco

and Guelfi is as exciting as can be.  So she was certainly was not unknown

in Europe.  BTW, she sang Vanessa also in Salzburg with the original cast.

I for one am indebted to her for her commissioning Knoxville Sumer of 1915

for the BSO.  What a fantastic piece that is!

Angelo from Boston