Subject: Treigle
From: Ariane Csonka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Oct 2017 17:24:17 -0400

Some one asked for personal memories of Norman Treigle.  He sang the Faust Mephistopheles with Palm Beach Opera around 1975, with my husband conducting.  I had seen him do the role the year before in Miami, and was so overwhelmed by his portrayal that I had to suppress an impulse to cross myself when I met him.  He was one of the most powerful performers I have ever experienced, easy to work with and charming, despite being quite ill at the time.  At one point, he asked me to do him the favor of fetching some pills from his hotel room so as not to interrupt rehearsal.  I was shocked upon opening the medicine cabinet to see dozens of bottles; it took a while to find the one he had requested.
At that point, he was terribly thin, with huge black circles under his eyes, and it was rumored that he had stomach cancer.  When we heard that he had been found dead, the macabre joke was "How could they tell?"
I don't believe he died of "an accidental overdose".  It is only too sad that no record exists of his capering, terrifying Mefisto.