Subject: Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt (3)
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Oct 2017 14:04:16 -0400

Back to Stella.  It has recently been pointed out to me that my sense of
operatic chronology may be failing a bit, but I do have a distinct memory of
hearing Stella in 'Tosca' in Chicago at some point between the middle 60's
to 1971.  I remember it because she was booed, which in my long experience
at the Lyric happened only to her, Suliotis in 'Norma', and at an especially
ridiculous production of 'Parsifal' some ten years ago.

And Eileen Farrell's problems with memorizing can be deduced from a YouTube
'Liebestod' in which she gets the words wrong. (Further on Farrell.  She was
the loudest singer I have ever heard in the theater -- I actually had to get
up and move several rows back she was so loud.  At the same time, I find
confirmed by a couple of Sirius broadcasts her tendency to let phrases
collapse at the end, almost as if she had run out of breath, which I doubt
she did.)

David Kubiak