Subject: Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt (3)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Oct 2017 16:56:03 +0000

For what my opinion is worth, I found at the time, and still find no
"oddity" in Bing's tenure at the Met. He understood that the Met was
a business, and that certain names filled seats. He catered, to the
extent that he could, to those names, and he made a lot of people,
including me, very happy.

A couple of downright silly statements have been made about Bing
and Antonietta Stella in the course of this thread. She broke her
contract and left him high and dry, based on a lie, in the Spring of
1960. She was to sing in Trovatore and other operas throughout the
tour, and he was left in the horrific position of finding replacements
with barely two weeks to go. She was, btw, a huge star at that point
and he could have lost complete control of his roster had he not
taken legal action. To say that, were it Corelli, Bing would not have
sued, is just nonsense. She had opened the 59 season in Trovatore,
and I saw her in 4 other superbly cast operas that year - Aida, Tosca,
a magnificent Butterfly and an equally splendid Maddalena di
Coigny. Among the operas that Bing had scheduled for her in the
following season was Manon Lescaut with Bjorling. The best laid
plans - she was canned, and he died in the Summer of 1960..

And the notion that Gabriella Tucci never really made it at the Met is
equally preposterous. She sang twenty roles in 13 consecutive seasons,
some 259 performances. And, as I noted yesterday, she has the house
record for number of Verdi roles. Bing thought enough of her to give
her the last Opening Night in the Old House, and the last complete
opera performed in that theater.

Sometimes, less really is more, and it is often a lot more accurate!

Bob