Subject: Re: Sills on Bing
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Oct 2017 11:43:36 -0500

Indeed, Sayao was the Zerlina in Lyric’s “calling card” Don Giovanni . There were two performances, 5 & 10 February, 1954. Rossi-Lemeni was the Don with John Brownlee (Leporello), Eleanor Steber (Anna), Luigi Sgarro (Commendatore), Leopold Simoneau (Ottavio), Irene Jordan (Elvira) and Lorenzo Alvary (Masetto). Nicola Rescigno conducted.

A search of the San Francisco Opera database shows that Sayao sang 3 performances of Rosina there in 1941. The cast looked like the Met had moved west! Tibbett, Baccaloni, Pinza and Cehanovsky joined her.

I believe this was the extent of her Chicago and San Francisco appearances.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Oct 3, 2017, at 10:58 AM, Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> If I am not mistaken, Bidu Sayao also sang Margherita in SF with
> Rossi-Lemeni.  She was at the end of her career and attempted some roles
> out there that she would never have done earlier and at the Met.  The Met
> was no longer interested under Bing but SF definitely was and I think she
> sang in Chicago during their initial season in 1954.

"There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design." - Rep. Michelle Bachmann