Subject: Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt (3)
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Oct 2017 08:52:43 -0400

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:17 AM, David Shengold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Which, I'd answer Roberta, Luigi Alva also definitely had, between La
> Scala, the Met, Salzburg, Covent Garden Glyndebourne, Vienna  (1957-1982!)
> etc etc and his many recording and/or films: Mozart, Rossini, Donizetti
> Verdi, Handel...

For Oralia Dominguez, besides her native Mexico City, Grove lists her
engagements at La Scala, Covent Garden, Paris Opera, Vienna State
Opera, Glyndebourne (a regular Quickly for a few years there), Naples, and
elsewhere.

I was surprised but also glad to see that she apparently had a prominent
international career, because her impressive singing and rich mezzo/alto
sound on a few, mostly live, recordings I've heard (from her riveting
Amneris--that intensely blazing Judgment Scene!-- to a sensitive La Cieca;
also wonderful as Dalila and Preziosilla) show how much she was unjustly
underrecorded in studio. As much as I love the studio SAMSON ET DALILA with
Gorr, Vickers, and Blanc, I prefer the live concert performance with the
same male leads but with Dominguez's Dalila for the sensuality of her
interpretation (which doesn't quite work with an otherwise exceptional
Gorr) and even more outstanding Vickers' Samson.

Thanks for mentioning her, Roberta.

Vesna