Subject: Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 1 Oct 2017 17:09:37 -0700

If the brains and artistic discipline had matched the natural gifts, Ernst Kozub.

Solti had obviously come across him in Frankfurt and his and John Culshaw’s hopes for him to stun the world as “our Siegfried” in the Decca “Ring” and how that fizzled are well known.

I had heard him on records in a small role in the Solti “Tristan” and as Erik in the Klemperer “Flying Dutchman” but didn’t really hear there what the excitement was about.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that someone on eBay had a mint condition Philips “HiFi Stereo” LP of him singing “Arien von Verdi und Puccini” (yes, they are all in German). I paid eight bucks for sheer curiosity. The musicality is rudimentary but not terrible. The record is surprisingly well recorded and the “Grotjes Orkester (!) dir. Robert Wagner” are only credited on the record label. From the labeling and catalogue number, I’m guessing this would have been made around 1960.

But, good God, the voice is spectacular. Rich, manly, flowing with wonderful squillo in a top that blooms like young Pavarotti.

The technique seems very natural and instinctive, would need to be seriously buttressed up to withstand the rigors of an international career. But what a voice!

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad