Subject: Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt (3)
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Oct 2017 04:17:02 +0000

Thanks, Bob. I know someone would go there. And another international career to rescue from so-called obscurity:!
From Raina Kabaivanska's website:

 "Worldwide known as ‘The Heroine of Melodramma’, Raina Kabaivanska started her brilliant career with her debut at the Teatro alla Scala in 1961. Since that moment she has been singing in the most famous theatres of the world: Paris, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Buenos Aires, Moscow, Salzburg, Munich, Hamburg, Venice, Naples, Roma, Parma."

To which list I would add Covent Garden, Vienna, Barcelona, Bologna, Washington and San Francisco!
She also made studio recordings and/or videos including HvK;s PAGLIACCI and TROVATORE films, FALSTAFF, FRANCESCA DA RIMINI and what I feel is the best TOSCA film out there ( though a certain poster will stick up for one featuring Eugene Tobin as Cavaradossi).
An international career!

Which, I'd answer Roberta, Luigi Alva also definitely had, between La Scala, the Met, Salzburg, Covent Garden Glyndebourne, Vienna  (1957-1982!) etc etc and his many recording and/or films: Mozart, Rossini, Donizetti Verdi, Handel...
Best- David