Subject: Re: Sills on Bing
From: "Roy D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 Oct 2017 15:06:16 -0400

The opera performance for which Sills told Treigle she’d give him his one wild performance (but would never allow it again), was the opening night of the new Tales of Hoffmann at NYCO, Oct. 4, 1972. Sills recounts the evening in her 2nd autobiography, “Beverly.” She goes on to say that she didn’t try to stop him on that opening night, because there are so few operas in which the bass really gets to shine. But then, at the second performance, she did the same thing to him, changing her blocking and stage business to always have him befuddled. He apparently got the message. At a cast party that night, Sills says she told Treigle, “don’t ever try that again.”

Just for the record, Sills only sang in “Mefistofele” once, a three-performance run as Helen of Troy at San Francisco Opera in September and October, 1953. She never sang it with Treigle.

Roy D.