Subject: Re: Sills on Bing
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 Oct 2017 19:01:47 +0000

David -

The Corelli/DelMonaco business may have been much more a
coincidence than "cause and effect".

Del Monaco was scheduled for a number of performances at
the Met in 59-60, including Otello with de los Angeles, but he
cancelled his whole season for reasons that are not clear to me
(perhaps someone knows the facts). In any case, he never sang
at the Met again and was gone for nearly two years preceding
Corelli's arrival, which was a joint debut in Trovatore with Leontyne
Price in February 1961.

For the record, I found Treigle to be a very engaged performer
with an ordinary voice and a tendency to overact. Beverly was more
right than wrong, if that quote is correct.

Bob