Subject: Sills on Bing
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 Oct 2017 12:14:22 -0400

Speaking of Norman Treigle...

It is common knowledge that Sills did not like Rudolf Bing.  But her comments about Bing in
her two bios are relatively tame compared to the way she lit into him in a private interview
in the early 1990s, about his failure to bring Norman Treigle to the Met:

"Oh, Mr. Bing is an ass....Mr. Bing, while everybody said what a great administrator he was
and a great this, Mr. Bing was just an improbable, impossible General Manager of the
Metropolitan Opera.  To have a great artist like [Norman Treigle] not invited to sing leading
roles there is a tribute to [Bing's] mentality, or lack of.  I mean, from my own point of view,
so I came [to the Met] late, who cares?  But unforgivable, *unforgivable* to run an opera
house based on personal -- *what*?  What was it?  That [Norman] sang at the New York
City Opera and managed to have a career without the aid of the Met?  The arrogance of that
man [Bing]....In later years, he came over to me at some occasion and said that he did not
regret any decisions he made, he just regretted we could have been friends for twenty
years.  And I looked at him, this little, skinny old man, and I thought, you know, it's not
worth arguing with him.  But to deliberately deprive a public for some ridiculous, unknown
reason.  Those kinds of people should never run arts institutions.  However, [Norman] made
his career anyhow, and he has his niche in operatic history that no little person like Rudolf
Bing can take away."

The above is from Brian Morgan's "Strange Child of Chaos: Norman Treigle."

MDW