Subject: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 29 Sep 2017 16:16:18 -0500

No doubt this has been discussed in the past but I’ve been thinking about it…

Two tenors who are represented in my collection should have subjectively, of course, become major international stars.

One is the Viennese Waldemar Kmentt. I have a lot of his recordings and I think he’s at his absolute best as Rosillon in the c. 1960 recording of “Die Lustige Witwe” (with Hilde Güden). I have a great affection for the “Viennese sound” and he’s a textbook example. The “Pavillon” duet (with Emmy Loose) could be one of my desert island selections. He has left a good recorded legacy.

The other is Salvatore Gioia, an Italian, whose career, sadly, was cut short by mental illness. I have very little Gioia in my collection: 3 selections from one of those wonderful Martini & Rossi concerts on Italian radio back in the 50s: “Le reve,” the “Lamento” from “L’Arlesiana” and “Una furtiva lagrima;” and a complete live performance of Donizetti’s “L’Aio Nell’Imbarazzo” from Bergamo in 1959 (which I haven’t been able to listen to for years since it’s on audio cassette and my player has succumbed to old age). But the M & R disc is probably still available and I recommend it for anyone unfamiliar with this singer. (Other singers on the disc are Stignani, Olivero and Amadeo Zambon). A bit of Gioia’s sad story can be read at <https://tenortalkblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/salvatore-gioia-remembering-the-brief-gift/ <https://tenortalkblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/salvatore-gioia-remembering-the-brief-gift/>> There’s a link to the “Lagrima” on the site.

Kurt Youngmann

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into." - Jonathan Swift, satirist (1667-1745)