Subject: Re: Albert Innaurato 1947-2017
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 29 Sep 2017 14:52:21 -0400

I am very sad to read of Albert's death.  He was unquestionably one of the most
knowledgeable and stimulating writers around on music and theater, opera in particular.
Sometimes I felt that his stories about his contacts with opera singers and conductors
should be taken with more than a grain of salt, but they were always entertaining - "Se non
e vero, e ben trovato."  I wish I had known him personally, but we just corresponded and
never met in person.  Like so many people who have commented already, my
correspondence with him was happy and cordial for years, and then turned quite nasty and
vitriolic on his part when I disagreed with him about something rather inconsequential.
(This seems to have been a pattern with him.)  I simply stopped corresponding, but I
always read his posts, which were usually stimulating even when they got personal about
people.

I loved his articles in Opera News, even when I disagreed strongly with his opinions (he
found the opera Turandot "depraved and revolting," and he called Karl Bohm a "glorified
Kappellmeister").  I also loved his intermission talks on the Met broadcasts - he gave one of
the best talks on "Fanciulla del West" I have ever heard - and I was sorry when the Powers
That Be dropped him for some reason (he probably insulted someone!).  He occasionally
would tell hilarious stories about his experiences with the nuns in Catholic schools.  I
remember one about an Irish sister who took issue - wrongly - with the way he had spelled
something on a paper.  She told him, with a heavy Irish brogue, "Well, you know, Albert,
Dago boys can't spell."  For a Dago Boy who couldn't spell, he did OK in the writing arena!

Albert always struck me as a rather unhappy person with a great deal of anger and
bitterness - about what or towards whom, I don't know.  I'm sure this accounts for his
prickly nature and the long trail of broken relationships here on Opera-l.  But he had so
much to offer anyone interested in opera.  He will be greatly missed, certainly by me, and
this List will be the poorer without him.

MDW