Subject: Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Sep 2017 15:12:10 -0400

The interesting thing about the WWII era is that both sides did
quite well, operatically, without trading voices with the other.
While we had Melchior, the Axis had not only Lorenz, Wittrisch,
and Volker, but Gigli as well.  They had Lemnitz, Teschemacher,
Berger - the list, in all ranges and in French and Italian as well
as German, goes on and on.   Many Jewish artists whom the Nazis
expelled became huge stars for us, yet more Wagner may have been
heatd at the Met between 1939 and 1945 than at any such period
before or since. The truth is that classical music, in general,  was
well served and widely enjoyed by both friend and foe at the time.

dtmk