Subject: Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Sep 2017 13:41:42 -0500

It boggles the mind to realize how many careers (and not only Jewish ones) were thwarted by the Nazi regime! Most, of course, were victims of the institutionalized genocide of “undesirable”  races and ethnicities. There were also those who died as a direct result of war. Mezzo Irene Minghini-Cattaneo comes to mind; she died in an allied bomb attack.

Peripherally related subject: Mike Richter once compiled a CD rom of Jewish singers. I thought he had given me a copy but, if so, I can’t find it. Does anyone know if it exists on line?

Kurt Youngmann

> On Sep 30, 2017, at 1:21 PM, Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Since these and some other great American
> singers were not significantly touring to such opera centers in free
> societies (for sure nobody in the right mind would expect them to tour in
> places such as Hitler's Germany!), the world was poorer for not being able
> to hear them live.

“There are a score of great religions in the world. . . and each is a mighty fortress of graft.”

—Upton Sinclair's Magazine, April 1918