Subject: Re: singers who should have had big international careers - but didnt
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Sep 2017 15:45:31 +0000

 Thanks to Vesna for mentioning Lemeshev, Kozlovsky ( whose mannerisms might not have played so well abroad) and Reizen as victims of Stalinist paranoia and/or the Cold War in terms of travel opportunities. Other such surely include Boris Gmyrya, Pavel Lisitsian ( yes, yes, yes, we *know* he didn't sound huge at the Met in his one Amonasro there, but the Met is not the world's only significant opera house) and Nadezhda Oboukhova from the USSR, plus Andzrei Hiolski and Leonard Mroz from Poland.

There are also singers in this category who made appearances abroad during brief periods of detente or late in their careers ( if they emigrated or kept singing beyond glasnost') who would have surely been bigger international stars without the prior restrictions: I'd place Vladimir Atlantov, Tamara Milashkina, Irina Arkhipova and Boris Shtokolov in this group. Maybe Erzsebet Komlossy from Hungary as well?
Fascism and World War II surely disturbed the timing of some potential international careers, ibcluding those by Americans - Traubel? Weede?  Esther Réthy was meant to come to the Met pre-war but didn't; after success in Budapest she was a big star in Germany and Austria, but to my knowledge rarely appeared elsewhere.

Then there are the first-class French singers who largely chose to appear just in France, with an occasional international engagement, like Robert Massard and Andree Esposito.
Best- David Shengold